Hotel System Design and Buyer Guide
How to determine door swing and handing for a door lock?
How many Locks are required and what is the orientation of the handle? Are your hotel doors Right or Left (or a combination) Handing? Door handing and door swing is easily determined in four simple steps. Door handing or door swing terminology may differ depending on supplier or region. If you have any doubts as to the handing or swing of your door, please contact us.
- Stand outside the door
- For help in determining which side is the outside of the door, look at the door in question.
- If you are standing at the door to your home, office or motel room, and are going inside, you are on the OUTSIDE of that door.
- If you are in a hallway, looking at your bedroom door, office door, hotel door, you are on the OUTSIDE of that door.
- If you are standing in a bedroom, hotel room with a bathroom attached, you are standing on the OUTSIDE of the bathroom door.
- If you are in your garage and going in to your home, you are on the OUTSIDE of that door.
- Method 1: Handing for door sets is determined by standing on the outside facing the door. If the hinges are on the left hand side, you need a left-handed door set. If the hinges are on the right hand side, you need a right-handed door set.
- Method 2: With the door open, stand with your back against the hinge jamb. If your left hand is nearer the doorknob, then the door is LEFT-HANDED. If your right hand is nearer the doorknob, then the door is RIGHT-HANDED.
- To identify the correct door lock assembly, you need to know both the desired handing (from step two) and whether it is in-swing or out-swing.
- In-swing doors, if the hinges are on the left hand side, your door is Left-Handed. If the hinges are on the right hand side, your door is Right-Handed.
- Out-swing doors, if the hinges are on the left hand side, your door is Left Hand Reverse. If the hinges are on the right hand side, your door is Right Hand Reverse.
- LH - Standard Left Hand Door Left Hand In-swing
- RH - Standard Right Land Door Right Hand In-swing
- LHR - Standard Left Hand Reverse Left Hand Out-swing
- RHR - Standard Right Hand Reverse Right Hand Out-swing
We are here to help
If you would like one of our advisors and help with your product requirements or answer any open questions, give us a call 1.866.500.5625. We would be happy to assist.